Found Possum Scratch Marks In House? – What To Do
Found possum scratch marks in the house can be a worrying sight for any homeowner. Possums are wild animals. And if they’re roaming around your house, they could be causing damage. They are carrying diseases, and even endangering your family. Knowing what to do when you find possum scratch marks in your house is an important part of being a responsible homeowner. Possums can be destructive, and it’s important to take steps to prevent them from entering your home. In this article, we’ll discuss what to do if you find possum scratch marks in your house? How to prevent them from coming back? How to keep your home safe from possums? Knowing what to do and how to protect your family from these wild animals is essential for any homeowner.
Why do possums scratch surfaces and make your house ugly
1. Possums scratch walls or other things at home to mark their territory.
2. They have scent glands in their feet. So, when they scratch they are leaving behind a scent.
3. Possums also use scratching to remove material from the surface of the wall. This may be necessary to make room for a nest.
4. Scratching can also help possums to stay sharp and maintain their claws.
5. Scratching can sometimes be a sign of boredom. So providing more toys or sources of entertainment can help reduce the amount of scratching.
What is to be done when you find Possum scratches on different surfaces in your house
- When possums are looking for shelter, they will often use their claws to scratch at wood, metal, and other surfaces. These scratch marks can range in size and severity and may be accompanied by other signs of possum activity such as droppings, footprints, and fur accompanied with dirt. If you have found possum scratch marks in or around your house, it is important to take Humane Possum Removal Perth steps. These can help you to remove the possum and prevent it from returning.
- The first step in dealing with possum scratch marks is to identify the source of the problem. If the possum is living in your attic or other space, it is important to properly seal all entry points. This includes repairing any holes or cracks in your home’s exterior wall and installing a one-way door or another exclusion device. If the possum is living in your yard, you may need to remove or trim any trees or shrubs that are providing shelter for the animal.
- After identifying the source of the problem, it is important to remove any possum scratch marks and clean up any other possum-related debris. If the marks are on wood, you can use a wood cleaner to remove them. For metal surfaces, use a metal cleaner and fine steel wool. Once you have removed the marks, use a sealant to protect the surface from future damage.
- Finally, it is important to take steps to prevent future possum activity. Possums love food sources, so avoid leaving pet food or other food sources outside. Additionally, make sure that all possible entry points into your home, such as windows and doors, are properly sealed. If you have a yard, it is also important to maintain it and remove any potential hiding places for possums.
In conclusion, if you have found possum scratch marks in your house, it is important to take the necessary steps to prevent a possum infestation. The best way to do this is to ensure that your home is securely sealed and that all potential entry points, such as vents and chimneys, are blocked off. Additionally, it is important to store all the food sources securely and tight your garbage cans lids. If you have taken all of these precautions and still find possum scratch marks in your house, it is best to contact a professional Humane Possum Removal Perth specialist to safely and humanely remove any possums from your home.